If you find mold growing in your home, your first impulse might be to feel grossed out. But because mold can also contribute to certain health problems, you also want to get rid of it quickly.

And, not to alarm you, but sometimes mold can be growing in hidden places like inside walls and underneath sinks. This can often be the case when a water damage event has occurred, because mold thrives in moist environments. So whether or not you’re aware of mold within your home, it would be wise to learn the symptoms of mold-related illness.

If you have mold in your home, you might experience:

  • eye irritation
  • congestion
  • runny nose
  • sneezing
  • wheezing
  • coughing
  • headache
  • sore throat
  • skin rash
  • lung irritation

In fact, symptoms of mold-related illness can look a lot like allergies. If this rings a bell, and you aren’t sure what is triggering your allergies, mold should be one consideration.

Mold-related illness might strike some family members but not others. This can be because certain health conditions make a person more susceptible to mold, such as asthma, cystic fibrosis, a compromised immune system, or chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder (COPD).

Most mold-related illness is mild, but persistent. However, occasionally the illness can become severe, especially in those with the above conditions.

If you experience any of these symptoms, you should discuss your concerns with your doctor. But as long as mold is present in your home, you will only be able to treat the symptoms and not cure the illness.

If you’ve ever experienced any type of water damage within your home, such as from a leaking roof, burst pipe, or plumbing mishap, you should suspect mold if you experience the above symptoms. Give us a call if you need to have your home tested for mold. We can alert you to the presences of mold spores which can trigger bothersome symptoms, and help you take action to eradicate the problem.