State laws regarding marijuana have loosened considerably over the years, and many medical patients (along with some unlicensed operations) are growing pot in their homes. But while the law and medical establishment might not consider marijuana to be all that dangerous, grow houses do pose certain dangers. When you’re in the market to purchase real estate, careful research of the home’s history will become important. If you discover it was used as a grow house, here’s what you need to know.

In order to grow marijuana, high levels of humidity are necessary. But guess what else grows well in humid environments: Mold! And because mold reproduces via spores, you will inhale those spores that are floating around in the air.

Exposure to mold can trigger a variety of consequences, depending upon your own health as well as the particular strain of mold. Some rare types of mold can be fatal. But in most cases, you will experience headaches and allergic reactions, and the situation can range from mild to severe. People with asthma face extra dangers when mold is present in a home.

So, should you avoid purchasing a home that was once used as a grow house? Possibly. But in many cases the damage can be remediated, and we can restore the home to a safe, liveable condition.

Watch for these signs of past marijuana grow activity when touring prospective properties:

  • Brown stains in the roof
  • Brand-new soffits have just been installed
  • Stains on floors (particularly basements)
  • Electrical wiring has been modified
  • Odd ductwork (from being re-routed)
  • Floor joists have circular holes
  • Wood structures are warped or rotted
  • Odd plumbing (water supplies and drains)
  • Brick exterior has been replaced in spots
  • Breaches in the walls or foundation

One or two of these signs might exist for other reasons, but when you spot several of them, we should check for the presences of mold. Give us a call, and we’ll come out to offer our professional opinion along with recommendations for mold remediation.